Migrating Complex IBM Notes/Domino Applications
The migration of custom Domino Applications is the biggest challenge for a company moving away from IBM Lotus Notes. The difficulty is that most destination platforms are very different from the Domino Application Stack. And moving to a uniquely different application stack necessitates the need to redevelop, not migrate.
To appreciate the logical approach to migrating IBM Domino applications to a new platform, it’s necessary to understand that the Notes/Domino platform is more than a document repository. IBM Notes Domino is a self-contained proprietary rapid application development platform with built in functionality such as workflow, document level security, embedded views, document links, infinite scroll and full text searching. Developers would create forms and views, and then leverage the integrated native functionality to create highly functional complex applications.
The Issues Migrating to SharePoint
Comparatively, a product like SharePoint was not created as an application development platform. SharePoint was in fact created to provide departmental document management. In order for SharePoint to meet the native functionality of Notes Domino, additional third-party functionality including forms, workflow, and security must be wedged into SharePoint. Most often, this creates a lengthy and complex development process with a final application that is inferior to the original Domino application.
To avoid costly redevelopment effort for each Domino applications, a destination platform must be targeted that mirrors the Domino platform. MigrateMe was strategically compiled for the migration of complex Notes Domino applications. It combines migration accelerators to automate logic conversion and data migration from Domino to a modern enterprise web application framework.
Considerations specific to the IBM Notes/Domino Application platform include:
- A new world object model ready for Domino objects.
- Server-side back end coding provided by reusable micro services built in Java.
- Full modernized responsive Front end using React JS or Angular JS. Applications are fully usable on a tablet and mobile devices out of the box.
- Support and build it once and deploy anywhere, providing for Native Mobile applications from a single application.
- Out of the Box data migration – Data can be migrated bi-directionally from or to Lotus Notes.
- Encapsulates services within comprehensive and portable APIs make application usable by other services or enterprise systems (ERP, CRM, etc..).
- Fully supportable by current web development professionals to maintain migrated applications. Ultimately providing you with a lower cost of support and development.
- Fully supported by corporate RDMS systems such as MSSQL, MYSQL, POSTGRES and others. Stores Domino NOSQL data in RDMS providing simple SQL statements or complex joins to obtain the data the way you want.