So I just got my Iphone 5. Yup, I’m a Apple junky. Ipad’s, Ipod touches, Macbook Pro, Nano’s, and Iphone are all over my office and house. I sidestepped the jump to the 4S. Didn’t think that Siri or a faster process was significant enough to make the jump. But when the 5 was announced I jumped on the list with my service provider. 1 month later I get a knock on the door. That’s right, a 1 month waiting list.
I like Apple products, but I don’t consider myself part of the cult. I like them because they are the best built products, the designs are great, and they always work. Something to be said about the merits of a closed system. Apple controls it so they can guarantee that the user experience is not disappointing.
So here is my take on the Iphone 5.
- One Sexy phone. It is nice eye candy.
- Super Fast. Application start time unbelievable
- LTE – Faster then my home network?
- Front and Back Camera produce amazing pictures.
- Love the new Panoramic Pictures. Especially like the implementation. Move the Iphone. Keep the pace steady. Keep the arrow on the line. Easy.
- Siri – The jury still isn’t in on this. My first impressions haven’t been great. I like the concept but it doesn’t seem to find things for me.
- Maps – I use Navigon. My friend Tony Holder told me about this years ago. I’ve been hooked ever since. The best Navigation system ever built. I looked at Maps as part of the IOS upgrade on my 4. It gives me what I want.
- New Connector – One of things I’ve always hated about Apple was their unwillingness to use standard connectors. I always hated the old connector. Like most people I went out and bought devices that use the connector. Now I have to pay for an adapter to work with them.
- Headphone Jack is on the bottom not the top. So this screws up some of the adapters I have since the port is now covered.
- Headphones – TBD – Looks nice, haven’t tried them yet.
- Quality of the phone calls. – TBD – I was always disappointed by the quality of phone calls. I’m hoping that the 5 deals with this better.
Overall impression: Not a revolutionary phone. But like apple said – It’s the best Iphone they ever built.Share