I love my MAC. With the introduction of Hand Off I wanted to be able to move between
my Rivit Mail on my iphone to my Rivit Mail on my MAC workbook pro. Easy enough – Right? Not if your an office365 or exchange user.
Handoff currently only works with the OS X mail.app. Outlook doesn’t support it yet. Maybe when Microsoft gets around to updating Mac Office (come on Microsoft – 2011? That’s ancient in computing years) it will work. I have to use the Mail.app.
It isn’t bad. I get to federate all my mail files in one account. Calendaring, notes and contacts are integrated. Pretty neat.
So the first thing I did was try to configure the mail.app to use by Office365 account. The system chugs for a bit and then comes back with the following error:
The Exchange Server “null” is not responding.
For the past couple of days I tried to fix this. Couldn’t do it. But I did notice one thing. I could enter the wrong information and it would create an exchange account. I then tried to find the plist to see if I could correct it in the back end. Searched all over for it… Couldn’t do it.
So I went back to square one. I could create a dummy account… Maybe the front end will allow me to configure before I commit and move on. So its still a bug. But this provides a workaround. So here is the steps that I did to correct it
1: In the System Preferences > Internet Accounts
- Create an Exchange Account
- Name Field – Enter your name.
- Email Address – Enter your email address but modify the domain so that it’s incorrect. ie: add an extra letter or number.
- Password – Enter your real password for your email account.
2: Account Settings
- Description – enter your mail box description
- User Name – Enter your real name.
- Password – leave password alone. Its already correct from step one.
- Server Address – Since I use office 365 its outlook.office365.com. Enter what ever your exchange server is.
3: Correct the wrong email you entered in Step 1.
- You should now be at the summary screen. Don’t hit continue. This will commit the account with the wrong info and they you can’t change it. That’s what happened to me. I tried to find the plist to modify it and never found it. If you do this you’ll have to delete the account and start over.
- But the preference screen allows you to go back and correct the information. Just click on back until you reach the screen where you can change your address. Find the incorrect address and fix it.
- press continue until you commit the change.
You now have a working exchange/office 365 account in OSX Yosemite!Share